Creating & editing content
Basic structure of pages
Most of the website content is displayed as a dedicated page. Therefore, all content types that are also a page have a similar structure in the editorial system. The structure is divided as follows:
The input fields in this tab contain the basic information of the page and should be maintained with care. Depending on the content type, there are different fields at this point.
The following fields are the same for all content types:
Title: is used in the path of the page and plays a crucial role in search - on the website and in the editorial system. In addition, it is the basis for the so-called URL of the website. Please make sure that the title is short, precise but also unambiguous. Five pages with the title "Service" are neither helpful for the user, nor can they be quickly distinguished from each other in a search.
Long title: the long title can promise an exciting introduction to the page. It serves as a central address to the user and complements the title of the page.
Key visual/video: it is a good idea to start pages with a lead image or video. This not only loosens up the page, but can visually support the content of the page.
Intro text: this text module, which is also displayed and larger, is the editorial introduction to the page - analogous to a teaser in a magazine. Arouse interest, roughly summarize the content or address the visitors of the page directly. The intro text should not be longer than 300 characters.
For the most flexible, exciting and especially target group-optimized appearance, you have many options for designing a content in all page types.
In the palette of content modules you will find freely designable modules with various setting options, but also dynamic modules that represent a reference to other content.
Please pay attention to a logical structure of the page when maintaining it. Do not overload the page and consider in advance which content module is best suited for the presentation of the content.
Even if you are viewing the site mostly on a computer, please keep in mind that about 50% of visitors browse the site on their cell phones. Text and design the page for your users!
Accessibility and search engine optimization intertwine. Therefore, both strategies lead to a win-win situation: Content is more accessible for all people if metadata is maintained. In particular, this content is indexed by search engines and output in search queries. They are also relevant for all link representations in social networks.
However, the website makes use of automatic generation if the following fields are not used.
SEO title = Title of the page
SEO text = intro text of the page
Social media image = key visual/video of the page
Use the following help to decide if automatic generation is enough.
SEO title: Especially if the page title is very short, an adjustment is recommended. Orientate yourself to a length of about 70 characters (including spaces). Feel free to use the best keywords for your page - i.e. terms that users* are looking for.
SEO text: The 160 characters are used for a short summary of the content of a page. This text is also used when the page is shared on social media platforms. If the intro text of the page is longer than 160 characters, it will be truncated during automatic transmission.
Social media image: Images and graphics can be included here if the respective page is often shared on social channels, for example. Especially if ads are placed on a page, it is worth making graphic material and wordmark. If the page does not have a key visual/video, then a social media image is also missing, making link previews on other platforms not very nice. Keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to have a general key visual/video.
You should make sure that your pages make sense in terms of content, are easy to understand and logically structured. Neither little content nor too much content on a page is purposeful. A page should convey content well, be easy to understand and contain the most important keywords. Then it will also be found by users.
You can place links at various places on the website. This is not only relevant for user navigation, but also improves the searchability of the website via search engines. Please make sure that these links are set correctly. External links are always opened in new browser window ("tab").
On the website, this is visually indicated by an arrow after the link; internal links are displayed without an arrow.
In the system, you will find explicit "links" fields in various places. These links can be recognized and processed automatically. For example, if a link is made to a page within the site, an attempt to delete this target page would result in a warning that this link exists. The situation is different with links in the text. The correctness of these links must be checked continuously.
When setting a link, please pay attention to the following:
- if you want to link to an internal page, start searching for the page by typing the title in the field and selecting the page (analogously the document). If necessary, check again the name of the page you want to link to. Some pages have similar names (service, continuing education, etc.).
- Please never use URLs of the form https://www.konzepthaus-consulting.com/... for internal links! If the address of the linked page changes, visitors may end up on a 404 page. Correctly created internal links (see above), on the other hand, are automatically updated when the target address changes.
- if you want to link to an external page, please always prepend the correct protocol. For a URL this is usually "https://", for an e-mail address "mailto:" E-mail addresses written out in full in the text are automatically linked.
- Links in link fields automatically recognize whether they are internal or external links and behave accordingly.
- When you enter links, you have the option to open the link in a new window. External pages and documents must be opened in a new window.
- Links should be given meaningful labels: Instead of linking "More information", better "Study abroad". If this is not possible, a link text must be entered in the mask.
- If you want to instruct the search engines not to follow a link, please click the appropriate checkbox.
- You can also link a phone number. In case of mobile use of the website, the phone number can thus be dialed directly by clicking. Linking is possible if you enter "tel:0049331580XXXX" in the URL field. Please do not "hide" a phone number behind words, but leave the number visible in the text.
Forms are only used to a very limited extent on the new website. Each form was checked in several respects, its wording was standardized (gendering, etc.) and it was prepared in a user-friendly way. In addition, DSGVO conformity and compliance with all security guidelines were taken into account. Forms can be integrated as content elements on the respective pages, but please note: each form is currently assigned to a specific area via the recipient's e-mail address.
If you need a form, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will then contact you and check all relevant implementation criteria.
Note: To prevent the misuse of forms by automated requests (so-called bots), a technology called Antibot is used. It does not require annoying additional user input (CAPTCHAs), works only locally in the user's browser, and is therefore privacy-compliant.
More setting options
Depending on the content type, additional settings can be made beyond the content aspects of the page. These are also available depending on your rights.
- Last saved
- Checkbox "Create new revision" indicates that with the next backup also a new copy of the page will be saved
- Revision log message: ask for a short comment about the changes made
- Checkbox: Provide a menu link
- Link title of the menu item: is automatically preassigned with the title of the page, but can also be defined differently. The menu title is also the basis for the URL of the page.
- Description: for accessibility reasons, the description should include further notes and explanations; repeating the link title is not useful or superfluous.
- Parent link: the dropdown menu can be used to select the navigation item under which the new menu item is to be found.
- Weight: the classification can be done numerically at this point, but is not useful given the complexity of the page. Please use the possibilities via the structure settings of the page for this purpose
Here you can define one or more URL redirections for a page. Please check before assigning the URL, whether this URL is not already used by another page!
The page can be excluded from indexing by search engines by excluding it from Sitemap.xml.
The URL alias is the address that the page displays in the browser line. This alias is automatically generated and also shows the nesting within the page.
We recommend that you do not change the "Generate automatic URL alias" setting, otherwise the address would not be updated with the parent structure in the event of a rename.
However, this option can be used to assign pages that do not themselves have a menu item in the navigation to a specific branch on a purely structural basis.
- Written by: Name of the author of the page
- Written on: time information when the page was created